PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF356 tailstrike in yyz
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2024, 20:14
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by CVividasku
I disagree. I looked up the 350 FCOM and it does very clearly state that the flare law is a direct law.
If you say that a flight control surface behavior makes sense "when taking all factors into account", okay, but that only applies if you consider that the law is not direct anymore.

I'm sorry to disagree again.
You're talking about sampling error, you also talk about a 0.25 or 0.5s sampling interval for pitch parameters.
Yes, but, if there is a two second discrepancy between two parameters that are supposed to be linked, it can't be attributed to sampling error.
Two seconds being much larger 0.5s.

Then, if you look closely on the curves, I count sixteen datapoints per each 2 seconds on the pitch SSC. As well as on the elevator deflection curve. Which means a 0.125s sampling interval. I don't have the A350 calibration files to decode the DFDR data, but I'm pretty sure that you will find 8 words per second for both these parameters.
The A350 being a modern airplane, there are many more parameters than on the older 320s and it's really not surprising to have such precision.

Basing all your reasoning on something, that, by chance, was not recorded, does not sound very serious. It can happen but it's very unlikely.
And even if what you said happened, that is, a jolt from the pilot flying at the tailstrike, it does not change the problem at all. It reduces a bit its seriousness, but the deed was already done at this time.
It does not explain why the elevators had been staying so much nose up even while the PF was, almost steadily, releasing his nose up input.

I don't know if you've flown airbuses, but I've never seen anyone making alternating inputs quicker than 4Hz...
Due to the internal damping of the sidestick, it would be very difficult to make significant oscillations at a significant rate. I'm pretty sure the 0.125s interval would capture any involuntary jolt, if it was significant, that is, if it was large enough to produce an elevator deflection visible on the curves. I'm completely sure if I try to pull a small jolt on the airbus sidestick, I can't make it quicker than 0.25s (even very small deflections like 10% of travel) and even less so quicker than 0.125.

If the report was as thorough as an accident report, it could have a paragraph somewhere stating that they did tests like so and concluded. I'm 99% sure it's impossible to make a jolt without being detected (shorter than 0.125s).

Lastly, I don't believe the artifact story. How come the sensor doesn't have any problem later on ? If there is a data point at some value, it means it was measured at this value. The shock did not impact directly the sensor nor any of its components, the acceleration alone was not very large (yes it's measured at the C of G for the one we have, but seeing the very steady increase in pitch, if we computed, we wouldn't find a very large acceleration at the tail, as computed by Nz + q'*length)

So, to sum up, I don't really buy your arguments, and even if they were to explain some things, they wouldn't explain the main problem, it being the 2s desynchronisation between elevators and SSC.
There is no 2s desynchronisation between elevators and SSC.
  • The SSC is not rate limited
  • The control surface is rate limited
The difference between control input and response always has an error unless the system is static.
The control surface actuator can be and is saturated in this condition, which is a normal system condition when a high amplitude input is made over a short time frame. The only time that doesn't occur is where the linkage between the two is rigid, as in aerobatic aircraft with push pull control rods with high rigidity, and zero pivot slack.
The FCC output in these cases is a proportional response, it is whatever the pilot is inputting by the SSC. When in normal law, the FCC will make control outputs as required to meet the demand, and those are determined by a programmed response table for the output, these tables are dependent on configuration.

The time delay from the saturation of the actuator is approximately 1.0s. For the ~36s immediately before the tail strike, the lag in the commanded position of the control and actual is minimal, and what is normally observed where there has not been a high amplitude, short time period input. Saturated control actuators are observed on various occasions, but are not the general manner by which the aircraft is flown, In this case, the controls have gone from near full nose up to reversed to full nose down in about 2s, and then in the next 2s have been reversed towards ~1/2 nose up again, then over the following ~2s to half nose down, before being nulled. With the gyrations of the high amplitude inputs which saturate the controls, position lag occurs. That is completely normal system function, the control inputs are less normal, they are unfortunately an over control of the required inputs by the pilot.

The sampling rates are required to be no less than 0.25s for both of these chanels, the rate that is recorded in the DFDR is 0.125s.

I don't know if you've flown airbuses, but I've never seen anyone making alternating inputs quicker than 4Hz...
Yes, I have, A320, 330, 340, and all of it as flight test. Of more relevance is I have conducted incident review on A320, A330 and various other Airbus products, as well as B737, B747, B777 types.

Spoiler

Last edited by fdr; 25th Jan 2024 at 23:35.