PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF356 tailstrike in yyz
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2024, 11:17
Uplinker

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by meleagertoo
Ah! In YYZ was it! Now some know but probably 95% of the readership haven't a clue. And why should they?
How about using real names instead of esoteric codes to show how clever (not) and 'insider' you are.

Has it not occurred that people who don't operate in that area will have no idea where that is, and that many here are not pilots or exposed in any way to IATA codes either?
Not all of us have a global list of IATA codes in our heads, and suggestions to use google are just smug smartarsery.
This is (or was) a professional pilot's forum, so three letter codes of major airports would be known or easily looked up by professional pilots. Haven't we all got an old copy of the Aerad books, with all the 3 and 4 letter airport codes in the back, or is that just me.

Originally Posted by JW411
Which reminds me of a Canadian pilot we once hired:
"How the hell do you get Luton out of EGGW?".......!"
(engages nerd mode.....) E is north-western Europe, G is Great Britain, G is an area of Great Britain, and W is the airport. W might refer to Wigmore valley which is an area next to the airport in Luton, (although the airport is not in the valley). Sometimes the appropriate letter has already been assigned elsewhere, so a substitute letter has to be used.

Originally Posted by Intrance
I'd hope the decision to go around due to an occupied runway would come a bit before touchdown on a seemingly severe CAVOK day with great visibility to see this other traffic occupying the runway... No need to put it down first and then second guess if the guy in front has vacated yet or not........
My guess is that the AF was cleared to land as the previous flight was exiting, so the AF pilots continued, projecting the progress of the previous aircraft to be clear by the time the AF touched down. But maybe for some reason the exiting aircraft then either stopped or slowed right down, so the AF had to go around. Nobody wants to go around, especially after a long transatlantic flight, but they obviously got this a bit too tight !

And I was always taught that if reversers and/or brakes had been applied, then you were committed to land and stop.

What is concerning here is the excessive pitch-up though. Pilots are fully aware of the max pitch-up value they can apply during rotation.