PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF356 tailstrike in yyz
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2024, 23:21
tdracer

Received 182 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by India Four Two
I thought it became "never" after the Cranbrook 737 crash, where the crew tried to go around, after selecting reverse thrust, when they discovered a snowplow on the runway. The FO was a friend of mine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacifi...nes_Flight_314
Even after Cranbrook, I don't believe it stated "Never". I don't recall the exact wording (and no longer have access) but I reviewed a lot of AFM revisions and I'm reasonably sure that it makes it clear they don't want you to initiate a go-around after T/R deployment, it does't specially say you can't.
I know that the Boeing T/R design does account for the possibility that a go-around may be initiated after T/R deployment and the design now insures that the T/R will complete its stow cycle even if the aircraft lifts off without it stowed (which is what doomed the 737 at Cranbrook - one T/R hadn't completed the stow cycle before the air/ground transitioned to 'air' - and that removed hydraulic pressure from the T/R. The aero forces on the clamshell -combined with the loss of hydraulic pressure - allowed the clamshells to be pushed back to full deploy and the pilots couldn't handle the combination of yaw, loss of thrust, and loss of lift due to the deployed reverser.