PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Revised and Improved Glasgow College Course (Merged)
Old 26th Jan 2004, 18:10
no sig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mister Rainbow

Nothwithstanding the issues you may have with the College and Mr K. M, who else is working to support the training needs of UK operational personnel to what will be, one hopes, the European standard. There is nothing else to balance. It appears UKOMA is pulling this around, lets support their efforts. Although I am out of it now, the update from Opsbod is a positive move one would hope.

Sadly, we don't have anything that is 'yet' recognised or approved. Hence the importance of the CAA/JAA regarding the inclusion of ops training to ICAO standards in part D of your ops manual. That, I am afraid, is the closest we are going to get to recognised or approved there is no licence in this at least as far as I can see.

I know most airlines will not be able to meet the ICAO standards by themselves so we need a course such as Glasgow Nautical College are providing and it may be something that will, in the future, be tailored to meet individual airlines needs.

But, the single most important thing that will foster the future of UK ops personnel is a recognised standard of training. If you can go to an interview with a Certificate to that effect in your hand you will stand a better chance of employment.

We've been through all of this before, but lets not pour cold water on this important move in our part of the industry.