PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Reality of Seeking a First GA Charter Job
Old 19th Jan 2024, 06:35
lilAussieBatla

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hazza4257
Have you considered looking overseas at all? I'm rapidly approaching completion of CPL myself and wondering if it's almost a better prospect considering the dire reports I'm hearing from new CPLs like yourself.

All the best and all I can suggest is keep at it and you'll eventually get your break. If you know this is what you want to do and no other career will satisfy you, it's not a matter of if but when.
Yes I have. In Botswana, you need a minimum of 500 hours to even be looked at. It used to be 200 hours but local pilots kicked up a stink so the minima is 500. Over in Namibia, it's much "easier" but still very tough. It's the same story over there, you arrive for a maximum stay of 90 days and just hope you get a break without having to leave the country. But you also cannot be seen to be "looking for work" on a tourist visa. So you need to pretend to be a tourist, if you know what I mean.

I'm about to book a trip to head over to Papua and sit there for a bit. It will be my third country outside of Oz trying to get that lucky break.