PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ Jet
Thread: Air NZ Jet
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2024, 20:57
ElZilcho

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by KiwiAvi8er
Should the current GM be ‘replaced’, any guesses whether the current recruitment scheme might see the skip? Sounds like the Links are already very short on potential new Skippers and it’s only early days!!
This year will be rather telling to the future of the RPPP as it’s about to be put to the test with external recruitment planned to ramp up. If our current GM hasn’t heeded the warnings and put a plan in place then history will repeat itself and things could get rather ugly.

The Airline is critically short on Pilots, masked only by reduced fleet numbers. A320 Captains were asked to hand back leave recently even though we’ve got 4 A/C grounded minus engines and flying a reduced schedule.

Originally Posted by Massey058
​​​​​​There are pros and cons to every system. The previous iterations of recruitment didn't necessarily work and this one may not entirely either. We are in a somewhat unique environment. How long will it last?

I don't see how throwing the current system out will make much difference other than creating slightly different effects.

I mean one solution might be massive pay rises and overseas recruitment into the Regional airline but I really can't see that happening.
No system is perfect agreed, but the problem with the current system is it’s not flexible. Tag & Release only benefits a single group while heavily punishing another to the point where they stop showing up right when we need them.

Originally Posted by ruralaviator
any word on progress with the low hour pilot programme? rough timelines anyone or still early days
Not officially no, it’s gone rather quiet, but I did hear they’re looking at overseas providers who have experience training Cadets.