PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Supply Stupidities
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2024, 14:29
BEagle

Received 321 Likes on 115 Posts
One evening whilst I was SDO at a station on which I was serving, the Orderly Sergeant rang and asked me to come to the Guard Room. Upon arrival, the reason was clear - an airman had been caught red-handed stealing clothing items. It seems that he would pass them on to a civvy crony who would later flog them in a local market, splitting the proceeds.

The little bugger was arrested by the RAFP and banged up. I was then asked to wait the arrival of the local 'investigator'.... He duly turned up and looked quite intimidating (rather like the character Frank Burnside in the later TV programme 'The Bill') in his leather jacket and stern expression. After he introduced himself, I asked whether he needed me to stay for any reason...

"No, it's OK sir, I'll take it from here. I might need you if we have to 'tumble his drum' though"
"Do WHAT?"
"Tumble his drum. Oh, sorry sir, that's an expression we use in the trade - it means to search his room!"
"Ah, OK. I thought that you meant to give him a little 'physical persuasion' to cough!"
"Oh no sir! We can't do that! Be a bloody sight quicker if we could though!"

Chummy subsequently enjoyed a little holiday in Essex!