PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIC command authority
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2024, 00:41
KRviator

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by 43Inches
My point in including it, was not just for the legal issues that are arising from this crash, but also I hope that there will be some insight into the human factors. What caused the bus driver to drive so 'furiously', abandon the law, and drive well beyond his abilities, was it habitual, was he set off by the passengers not complying, etc etc. I wonder if there is anything that can be crossed over to aviation to use, to learn from, about slowing down, and taking it easy when things get aggravating, not as you want. Was there a hint of 'hurry up' I'll just get them to the destination as fast as possible and get rid of this mob, was it just a bad day for him, who knows...

Anyway, big thread drift....
My reading of the news articles at the time was similar to ol' mate in the video. Someone's called him out on speed for whatever reason and he's thought "I'll show you what fast means!" and it hasn't turned out like he planned. Hell, I've driven that roundabout more times than I can count and even I've come up to it a bit quick and got the side-eye from the KRviatrix - but he rolled it on the opposite corner to where he entered, so he's gained speed as he's traversed the roundabout.

Anyways....In terms of what we can learn from that in an aviation environment, there's probably several factors, including needing the skillset to not allow passengers to get under your skin. Now that's probably not a huge issue for most airline pilots granted, but for cabin crew and gate agents, it's a different story. How often have we seen reports of SLF being off-loaded because they've done or said something the CC didn't like, and then the FA's gone on a power trip? That Doctor in the US who was offloaded and beaten because they "needed" to have a deadheading crew on the flight and didn't give a damn about what the Doctor needed. Our way or the highway! was the mentality, and no one seemed to consider asking if anyone else would be happy to get off. And look where that little incident took the airline!

Another aspect could well be being less prone to impulsivity and along with that knowing the limits of your vehicle - be it an airborne one or not. There was no need for him to go that hard round the roundabout, but by the same token, if he had needed to, say to try to expedite medical attention for a passenger or something, you need a better idea of what you can do with your vehicle. Again, for us, we have SOP's and the like, but what happens when you have an uncontained cabin fire? Would you stop your nose-down input at the barberpole, or would you go a bit beyond? How far beyond is safe? Have you read the certification standards to know what your 737 has actually been tested to - not just what the ASI says is the limit?

Finally, and most importantly, as the boating mantra goes, "You're the Skipper - You're responsible!"