PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Supply Stupidities
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2024, 12:56
Fortissimo

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
BFT Cranwell in the late 70s, and a shortage of 'Bags, Navigation'. An edict was issued requiring any BFT student with a nav bag, to which we were apparently not entitled, to return them to stores ASAP so they could be re-issued to the Nav students who really needed them. One of my mates dutifuly took his bag back and handed it over, despite having added his initials in big black letters on the front flap. A few days later, said easily identifiable bag was seen being toted round the Stn in the flying-gloved hands of OC Supply Flt, a young Fg Off. A suggestion of some percussive counselling from the aggrieved previous owner was substituted for some more professional advice from the chap's boss, which seemed to do the trick as the bag was not seen again.

Like Mogwi, I also ran into the leg restraint garter buffoonery when North Luffenham was unable to provide during pre-Hawk kitting. Stores at Valley: "Can I have a set of leg restraints, please?" "Just a moment, sir..." And then: "Sorry, we only have one left, we can't do a pair." When I asked why they only had one, I was told it was a supply process designed to ensure a re-order. In reply to my next and obvious comment, he told me that they didn't know there was only one left until I asked for a set!

Falklands, F4 detachment at Stanley. The engineering system had correctly decided it would be better to do Minor* servicings in theatre than return aircraft to the UK. The supply system was informed of the requirement for the apropriate toolkit and, shortly thereafter, most F4 sqns were short of tools as they had been recalled and sent south. Why the suppliers thought it would be a good plan to send 9 Minor toolkits so that we could do all the aircraft at once is anyone's guess.

Falklands RTB, handing in those items issued in theatre, which included sea boots and the steel tortoise helmets (remember those?). My nav had unfortunately misplaced his tortoise, but the problem was easily fixed. I went first, and handed over my helmet and then the boots, which were stowed some distance apart. As the storeman took my boots down the counter to the boot section, my nav reached forward and retrieved my helmet from the rack. Storeman arrives back and is handed 1 helmet and 1 pair of boots. A very satisfying result!

The following 2 users liked this post by Fortissimo: