PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Foreign pilots now allowed to apply for a Green Card?
Old 16th Jan 2024, 03:22
galaxy flyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipper21
Thanks guys, I thought so that it's something burocratic.

On another topic. Would someone that jumped from Europe to US recently share some thoughts about what are the biggest differences working wise. And I mean operationally, actually flying the aircrafts, handlings at the airports etc. I am wondering what I need to prepare myself for.
Yank here, but familiar with EU ways. First, we have a significant minority that we think speak Spanish, you might differ in that opinion.

Seniority is everything, esp new hire you don’t have any, so schedule, seat, time off, vacation will set by that fact. As more get hired below you, life improves. Airplanes fly the same, but we’re less attached to theoretical knowledge. Our tests for license conversion is off an open question bank, memorize the answers, you’re done. Commuting is common, so live where you want IF you can accept the travel to/from on your own time. We probably work harder (more days, more hours) but earn more for it. Contracts are filled with arcane rules that means one can hit the lottery for a big payoff or, not being knowledgeable, lose out.