PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Supply Stupidities
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2024, 10:04
BEagle

Received 279 Likes on 113 Posts
Sqn Ldr Ops at RAF Wattisham was being a bit arrogant demanding a 'Kojak' flashing amber light with a magnetic base for his service mini, so that he could rush around looking important.... Fortunately we had a brilliant OC Supply with a very dry sense of humour... So a few weeks later a parcel arrived at the Ops Room and the good Sqn Ldr eagerly unpacked it....only to find a standard RAFP blue light. He went into low earth orbit on the phone to Supply Wing where OC Supply went into full 'blunty' mode..."No Sir, it clearly states on your demand voucher blah, blah, blah!" After S/L Ops had seethed and ranted for a couple of hours, a lad turned up with a new box...with the amber light! Oh how we laughed when he realised that we'd all been in on the jape and that he'd been had!

Also at Wattisham I was required to check my 'Clothing Card' before being posted. Whereupon I found that it still included a Gnat-specific oxygen mask and Gnat-specific g-suit, neither of which were any use on other aircraft. I explained that not only had I handed all my Gnat AEA in when I'd left Valley 8 years earlier, but the RAF didn't even have any Gnats left - the last had left service about 3 years ago! That didn't satisfy the stores people though - they expected me to pay £LOTS! Fortunately a Flt Sgt in SCAF was also one of 'my' Anglia gliding instructors and he came up with a solution. Two 'unserviceable' labels with all the right stores references were duly produced and handed over to the storeman, who was then able to write these non-existent items off my card!