PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Reality of Seeking a First GA Charter Job
Old 13th Jan 2024, 12:03
421dog

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Kundry
lol of course. I think the obtusity of internet communication is coming out here. I just meant, a few days, or a month spent in a maintenance workshop, even if you aren't paid, can set you up with invaluable skills. If you are 18 and never touched a tool before or are in the financial position to hang around a shop and be taught for a certain period of time. I have approached shops and asked for any trade assistant work but I can see why they never got back to me - if the shop is busy with brake pad changes and oil changes but you've never done one, what do you offer worth paying? put it this way, if time is your currency, then sometimes it is more valuable to trade it for knowledge and skills rather than money. again, not talking about flying for free. as we know, that is something you spent $80k to learn.

So I’m a Surgeon. Our Mantra is: “see one do one teach one”. That’s pretty much my intro into commercial aviation. I hit up a local flight instructor who had a night gig at a check flying operation to fly in the right seat of a 402 (on the qt)
As I had the appropriate ratings, after a couple of flights, I was interviewing with the chief pilot wi in a couple of weeks, did my check ride and got the job.