PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Reality of Seeking a First GA Charter Job
Old 13th Jan 2024, 02:11
blvkpanther

Received 27 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been reading the posts in these forums for a few years now, but felt compelled to sign up to reply to this thread specifically. As someone who was in a similar boat only a few short years ago (2021), I thought my experience might be of use to yourself or others. For context, I'm now employed overseas on a widebody.

The advice already shared by others here is spot on, but here's my story.

I got my CPL in February of 2020 and then covid shut down interstate borders the next month. I lost my job due to the restrictions and spent the rest of the year in jobs that I had no interest in doing. I'll admit that during this time when searching for these jobs, I had a "perspective" problem. Employers obviously want to invest in an individual that they will see a return of investment on. I made the mistake of highlighting that I was a pilot (qualifications on my CV) and undoubtedly this gave the impression that I only needed the job as long as it took to find a job in the aviation industry. For every 20-30 non-aviation jobs that I applied for, I got 1-2 replies. It took several months of being unemployed before I removed my pilot qualifications off of my CV and shortly after I found myself in stable, full time employment (this story becomes relevant later).

Towards the end of 2020 I got my MEIR and began looking for jobs. I got myself up to Darwin in 2021 and got a job working as a ground handler. Like yourself I made all the effort that was required and recommended by those that came before us. I called the operator, asked to talk to the CP/SBP and if they weren't available I asked for his/her name and the email address that I could forward my CV through to. I went to Officeworks and printed off 100 copies of my CV/Cover Letter on better quality paper and put them in plastic sleeves so that it would make more of an impression. I dropped into most of the operators weekly and gave them a new CV to add to their pile. I even rented a 172 and flew down to Katherine to drop CV's off down there. I managed to meet most of the Chief Pilots/Senior Base Pilots and tried my best to get a foot in the door but I was always a day late (they just interviewed yesterday). I had 30+ hours in both the 206 and the BE55 but only 200TT. I was told by a CP that the reason I didn't get called in to interview was because he had plenty of higher time guys wanting the same job.

Being 2021 and during the middle of covid, I was probably fighting a tougher fight. I am in no way trying to discredit your struggles or efforts, but objectively, there was zero movement in the industry and LOTS of pilots out of work.

After six months of trying, I began looking outside of Darwin and at other opportunities that involved being able to fly a plane. I began searching 'Rural & Outback Jobs' Facebook groups for potential pilot listings and started contacting pastoral companies that had previously advertised for pilots. That is how I got my first job as a "mustering" pilot. I put my stuff in storage, packed the car and drove 60+ hours to a remote station in WA, 400km from the nearest supermarket. I ended up flying 1,100 hours in 14 months.

This was a tough and humbling experience but also one of the most enjoyable periods of my life. If I wasn't flying, I was climbing and fixing windmills or working with the livestock. During our busy periods, our day would start before sunrise and would often times finish after sunset. In one month, I flew 156 hours and only had three days off (being a private operation this was legal). In slower periods, I asked for time to clean out the hangar and the plane (washed the 30+ year old, crusty wool seat covers) and put together a QRH (there wasn't one in the aircraft) and cheat sheets for the pilots that would come after me. I became good friends with the station manager during this time and, in his recent history, I was the longest employed station pilot he'd had. I subsequently went on to fly in PNG and work for an Australian 121 operator.

I say all this to make this point: The single factor that is more important than, the types of aircraft you've flown or how many hours you have in your logbook, is your attitude (I fear I may have just said something controversial on PPRUNE).

Every 200 hour pilot, everywhere, trying to get their first job is more or less equally qualified. You could've done your entire CPL training in a 210, have a HR/forklift license, senior first aid certificate and when you fart it smells like Chanel, but if you have the wrong attitude, you'll undoubtedly have difficulty getting a start. Going back to my own experiences and earlier story, employers want to invest in an individual that they will see a return of investment on. They're also the ones that have to spend time with you in the office and in the aircraft training you. We're all overworked and underpaid and the last thing any of us want to do is interact with a colleague/employee that believes they are "better" or "too good" for the task/job/aircraft that is asked of them (any time spent in the industry or on these forums and you'll know the type of individuals that I refer to..). Any operator can spot this before you walk through the door.

OP, I am in no way insinuating that you fall into this camp. Personally, I sympathise with you as I've been in your shoes. I admire your dedication to get a start in the industry and I wish you the best of luck. I'll reiterate what others have said, absolutely do not spend the $5,000 on doing the GA Ready Course. If you're established in Darwin with accommodation and a job, I'd probably not relocate again. As others have said, if you don't have any 206/210 time, it might be worth getting yourself in one for a few hours to get a bit of experience. Keep in mind, there are plenty of other jobs for entry level pilots, prawn/whale/fire spotting, pastoral companies, low/high level survey, powerline inspection etc.

No matter where you get your first job, try to add value and or leave it better than you found it. By this, I don't mean work for free, but if you see or feel that something can be done better or more efficiently, write up some suggestions and put it forward. If the hangar is a mess or the oil bottles need refilling, do that little bit extra and be willing to step in to help others when and where they need it. Having this attitude/mindset and being humble and willing enough to follow through with it will show your character as an individual (this is what operators are looking for).

Genuinely try to enjoy the flying and the experiences you're going through and (most importantly) remain positive because this is just the first speedbump in what will be a long and bumpy career. You'll fly for a terrible operator or two, you'll be taken advantage of and you run the risk of being furloughed at any sign of the economy taking a down turn.

But one day you'll be cruising at FL380 and you'll look back at the struggles of finding/surviving your first GA job through rose tinted glasses and probably wish you could still be doing it.
The following 8 users liked this post by blvkpanther: