PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter missing - Mt Disappointment VIC (AU)
Old 12th Jan 2024, 09:38
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 429 Likes on 226 Posts
Sadly, it really does appear that this was a case of “same old, same old”. The cliche about old, bold pilots definitely applies here. Two pilots, two aircraft, same way, same time, same conditions. Two opinions of whether to turn back or not. It’s a fine line.

Having been in the situation of commercial pressure to fly or not and whether to continue a flight once airborne many times, I’m beginning to realise how glad I am to be retired and away from it all.

However, I must say that I’m very, very surprised that the standby horizon wasn’t even switched on! That indicates a certain mindset about the flight.

Also, a pilot with a few thousand hours but no IFR training at all? I recall flying under the IMC training hood very early on in my basic helicopter training, in an unstabilised Whirlwind 10. IR training long after first solo unless I’m very much mistaken and certainly with a lot less than 100 hours total. Might have even been before night flying…maybe Teetering Head can confirm? Before that we were required to gain a basic “white rating” IR in fixed wing.