PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Reality of Seeking a First GA Charter Job
Old 12th Jan 2024, 02:17
Kundry

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by IO520L
hmmm maybe the CPL you’ve spent 80-100k of your own money on that cost the operator nothing? Maybe that’s what you immediately offer??

in all seriousness do not offer to work for free, it makes the overall conditions in GA worse for everyone, it will actually make a lot of people NOT want to hire you, and lastly if it is an operation that is happy for you to work for free chances are that’s not the only thing there that’s illegal/dangerous.
lol of course. I think the obtusity of internet communication is coming out here. I just meant, a few days, or a month spent in a maintenance workshop, even if you aren't paid, can set you up with invaluable skills. If you are 18 and never touched a tool before or are in the financial position to hang around a shop and be taught for a certain period of time. I have approached shops and asked for any trade assistant work but I can see why they never got back to me - if the shop is busy with brake pad changes and oil changes but you've never done one, what do you offer worth paying? put it this way, if time is your currency, then sometimes it is more valuable to trade it for knowledge and skills rather than money. again, not talking about flying for free. as we know, that is something you spent $80k to learn.