PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Reality of Seeking a First GA Charter Job
Old 11th Jan 2024, 20:26
RobCl

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Some people can judge me for "jumping around and not staying in the same place for a job" but, come and spend time in Alice waiting for a GA job and let me know in 3 months if someone hasn't attempted to steal your car or set your letterbox on fire
One piece of advice I always give people heading north is to pick a town where you can live without being a pilot for a year plus quite happily. This avoids the jumping around. Personally I talk up Broome and Darwin for different reasons (smaller town but cooler v bigger city vibes; both with enough operators who will take fresh CPLs) as places to go and just base yourself. Get a casual job somewhere, get a rental (having an address in town looks good) and just keep at it. I have a friend who took over a year to get their first job, I got mine within a week. But they got into companies throughout their career with quicker progression. They now have a jet command, I don't.

So my other piece of advice is try not to think short term and definitely don't compare yourself to those around you. Your career will progress like a manual car driven by an L plater. It will leap forward, then stall, leap forward then stall. It's hard to evaluate how it's going until you get to the end of the road!