PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Reality of Seeking a First GA Charter Job
Old 11th Jan 2024, 06:07
outnabout

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Excellent advice, Flying Bear and Mike Wils.

My 2 cents worth:
if looking for a job, contact the company, and ask for their minimums. Then make sure you meet them.
As a rough guide, a resume that includes the following will stand out:
100 hours command
5-10 hours in a C100 series. No serious commercial GA operator does scenics in a low wing.
Current CPL (don’t go for a check ride if you haven’t flown in the last 30 days. Skills degrade much quicker than any of us like to admit. If you are brushing up, at the very least, do some cross wind, flapless and short field. Don’t just slam it onto the tarmac three times and call it job done.
Current Class 1 medical.
Current ASIC.
Current DG.
Current A&OD training (it’s a free course, offered online by CASA, so no excuse not to have it).

Really want to stand out?
Get yourself a Senior First Aid certificate.
Contact a local maintenance training organisation and ask to be trained on how to change an oil filter, the oil, a spark plug, a tyre, and a battery - as a minimum All perfectly legal, if you are trained, and will pretty much put your resume in the top 5 of the pile on the HOFO / CP desk.

Then when you contact a company, use your manners.
Introduce yourself - it’s astounding how many people don’t introduce themselves now at the beginning of a phone call.
Ask if the CP has a few minutes rather than assuming the CP is sitting around fat, dumb, and happy just waiting for your call.
Sell yourself - I am a new CPL, looking for a job. What I can offer you is….(what sets you apart from every other resume that’s crossing the desk’).
Even if there is no job happening, the phrase “thank you for your time” goes a long way.

Pro tip:
if you send in a resume, and you have accidentally addressed it to the wrong company / wrong person (or something similar), and the company points it out - don’t give up. Own it - yes, I made a mistake.
Correct it, and re-submit it.
Part of any evaluation in aviation is observing how you recover from a mistake.
So if you make a mistake, own it, and - very importantly - learn from it, you have proven to the potential employer that you can take criticism, you are willing to learn from it, and you are willing to try to improve,

Any newly qualified pilot who thinks he / she knows it all, and can learn nothing in GA, is a danger to themselves and everyone around them.

The following 5 users liked this post by outnabout: