PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Reality of Seeking a First GA Charter Job
Old 11th Jan 2024, 04:53
Kundry

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
OP - same here mate. I went up to Darwin in 2021. Spent a week in a sharehouse then found a job cleaning rooms at Cooinda. The rest is history.

So far I've had more leads from talking to people rather than fronting up to places with a resume. No matter how remote the operator is, there will always be dozens of resumes on the desk. I got pretty depressed in 2022, I had no job for about a month and I was living in my car during the build up. I don't like to talk about it too much because I know nothing is owed to me and happiness is in my control.

When I was 19 I was a spotty teenager who didn't have many social skills, confidence, knowledge and experience aside from a CPL. After leaving home and going to the top end I learnt how to drive a forklift, mix 2 pack paint, use a whipper snipper, use Opera PMS, how to talk to people as a "customer service" person, how to work with people you don't like. Caught some big queenies, saw some big crocs, lost about 30 B52s, walked through landscapes so beautiful I started writing bloody poetry about it, bought a 4WD with all the money I had then drowned it a day later, impelled backpackers, repelled locals etc. Whether I found a flying job or not, at the end of the day my opinion is that a drive out bush is invaluable personal development for any young Australian.

That being said, I am a lot happier now that I'm not moping around the top end waiting for a call. There are opportunities east coast, even more so with the movement going on now. I'm getting close to 500 hours now, have free accomodation, get paid a little bit and fly every day (roughly 300hrs per year). My advice for any CPL holders disenchanted with the first job search is to stick it out. Hiring is not fair. It's absolutely right place at the right time, or being mates with someone in power, that dictates your success. Keep searching for opportunities. After having a range of non-flying jobs, some which I left after 2 weeks, to others I stuck out for ~5 months, I couldn't imagine doing anything other than flying as a job. For me finding a job as a pilot became do-or-die. My father always talked about the future and what where we should be as a family - none of which came to fruition. I knew it before, but after my father died it became even more apparent, that this is it - there is no time other than now to work towards a goal. Go stick your resume as an advert on the gate of a country airfield. Call up a drop zone and ask them if they need a pilot. Work at a maintenance shop, offer to work for free if you're young and have no skills (some will detest this but why should you be paid if you have nothing to immediately offer?). You can either keep doing what is not working (putting your resume on a stack of others), or have some humility and put yourself out there.