PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OXford and Jobs
Thread: OXford and Jobs
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2004, 20:10
Saitek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You posted at 5:55am.....sleepless night?

Same boat my friend, same grades exactly as you, same opinion on Career Development Officer, he is half a sandwich short of a picnic. I went to see him for half an hour on the day before the BALPA employment conference, before I had finished the I/R, to discuss a few issues. Next day at the conference I saw him and said hello and his reply was "hi, how are you doing, hows the job hunting been since you left us".......

I have seen people get work through Oxford, though even as my grades have been reasonably high they havn't given me one glimmer of light, maybe age +30 might have something to do with it, I don't know.

I havn't hung around though, I paid £60k for my ATPL and I am not going to sit and starve and not apply to companies because Oxford say so ......... boll ks to that.

They're obligation was to complete my training which they did well, and now obligations are over as far as I see it, If they do come forward great, but I am not in any way relying on that to happen.

Interestingly enough, they took 8 to Ryanair last week and are taking 16 more. Flybe want 40 by the end of the year.

Between my course mates we are all of the opinion that the career development officer is the not the right man for the job, he is not putting the best interests of students first, as you so rightly point out, but rather the interests of the Airlines.

He is also a politician who will never give you a straight answer but always comes out with 1 of 10 standard phases.

Remember these, you should they've been used 1000's of times:

Q, Hi career development I'd like some information on CV's

A, " Do you realise the Airline industry is predicted to treble in size by the year 2030, think of the opportunites that presents "

Q, I say Mr. Career development officer is that Cheese and Pickle in your sandwiches.

A, How many aircraft have easyjet ordered? how many pilots will they need? so how many jobs will be created by others leaving to fill those roles"

I wouldn't bother he is a waste of time

Try the IPA on www.ipapilot.com or 01444 441149 if you havn't already, miles more helpfull than BALPA also, people who know what they're talking about, who listen and give masses of relevent information to help......Good luck