PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructor/Student Relationship - a failure to communicate?
Old 25th Jan 2004, 20:03
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instructor/Student Relationship - a failure to communicate?

A helicopter instructor friend in the US just sent me a copy of an article from their AOPA Fight Training magazine, with a note saying some articles ought to be read and kept by all of us. I'll quote the first couple of paragraphs:

'Has this ever happened to you? It's a beautiful day. Light winds. Severe clear. There's not even any traffic on your drive to the airport. You arrive at your flight school only to find your instructor absent. No problem, it's happened before; you'll just go out, preflight the airplane, and wait for him to arrive - and wait, and wait, and wait. Finally he hurries out to the airplane straight from the parking lot, jumps in the cockpit, and says: "So what did we cover last time?"
When this happens do you (a) bite your lip and explain to him what happened during your last lesson as your stomach churns with frustration? Or (b) take off your headset and quietly, but directly, tell him that you are really disappointed in his lack of consideration and preparedness, and that you don't want it to happen again?
Well, it's happened to me plenty of times, and I definitely have to answer "a". At least, that's what I did, while I was working on my private pilot certificate. My instructors for subsequent training really wren't allowed as much latitude, although I still had plenty of sore lips. Why is that? If a repairman, auto mechanic, or someone else I am paying to provide a service doesn't deliver to my expectations I'm not shy about telling him or her.'

The rest of the article - and it's long - goes on about students' reluctance to address problems in the cockpit, and asks why. I know myself that this sort of thing happened, and that while I complained in the beginning, I gradually picked up on the sort of general attitude, which was that if you wanted to learn to fly, you just accepted the way things were. But why? I too am not normally backward in saying what I think. I suppose it was a new world, and I knew I had a lot to learn, and I wanted to fit in...but somehow that doesn't explain it really. We are the paying customers; why do so many of us act as though flying schools and instructors are doing us a favour?

Anyway, I just wondered what everyone experienced and/or thinks about this. The author finishes with "Five steps to conflict resolution", which are as follows:

1. Clearly identify what the problem is. As you do this, take an honest look at what part you might be playing in creating the problem. Nobody's perfect.
2. Immediately discuss the problem with your instructor. Make sure you state the problem clearly and don't confuse facts with emotion.
3. Give your instructor a chance to rectify the situation.
4. Agree on a plan of action and a reasonable time frame - and stick to it.
5. if that doesn't work, discuss the situation with his or her supervisor. Nobody likes to go over someone's head, but sometimes it's the only way to get that person's attention.

If you're still not satisfied, you may have to look for another instructor. After all, it's your time and money. No sense in wasting time working with someone who doesn't want to work with you.

Hmm, maybe that last section should be made a sticky for all the students who come on this forum asking about instructor problems.

I considered posting this on the instructors' forum, but finally decided to put it here. If any other instructors who frequent this forum think it's worth it, feel free to post a link over there.