PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Reality of Seeking a First GA Charter Job
Old 9th Jan 2024, 12:58
Sword_2

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Some good replies here already, here's my 2c- timing is everything!

As has been mentioned you need to be on the spot and ready-to-go (& suitably current so you can still perform on a check-flight).

Now is the time to be establishing yourself somewhere for the upcoming dry, with work typically kicking off late March/April.

I'm only just heading out the door of GA into the airline world, but with plenty of mates still in amongst it know that now is the time they're looking over CVs, working out pilot numbers etc, and sorting out start dates etc.

I'd maybe consider Broome/Kununurra and dig in there with a normal job first and foremost (plenty of work going in just about any industry you can imagine). For your first flying job the flying licence is obviously important, but as you've illustrated you haven't really got anything useful to offer people in terms of experience.

I'd sell other skills, have you got a forklift licence, truck licence, RSA? Any kind of mechanical knowledge to help out in the hangar (though this happens less & less). A lot of the GA companies have people wearing many hats, if you can become one of the many with skills completely outside aviation, but which are useful to the business that could help get you through the door. Scenics and stuff thrive on personality, so being able to spin a yarn, being able to talk things up (try telling a spiel about some stripey rocks for the 500th time!)- all of that needs to be able to come across with positivity and enthusiasm.

When I went North about 5 years ago with my wife we sorted a job for her first (niche industry), and that location became "The" town. I reasoned if I didn't get a start I'd just pick up work in something else for a while, and keep trying. (I've got a farm background and truck licence so knew that I wouldn't be out of work if the flying didn't happen).

Anyway, I tried the 3x different operators there- one was a TBNT, another was interview and a scheduled checkflight and the final operator (which I really wanted), didn't have anything for me flying but had something in ops. Their senior pilot at the time counselled me and told me to take the flying gig elsewhere... However, the day before the checkflight, a heap of pilots decided they didn't want to come back for the season at the place I wanted. A role was now available for me, when could I start? It led to some great training, promotions right through the ranks, mates and experiences. We ended up doing almost 5 years there, before heading back to the city!

Anyway keep at it, it is just a numbers game - and all you need is one.
The following 4 users liked this post by Sword_2: