PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Empire Strikes Back! on Colour Defective Pilots... Again.
Old 6th Jan 2024, 23:43
Missing aileron

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you for your response, Clinton. That's all very valuable information. The work you guys are doing is fantastic, and I truly do hope CASA wakes up and implements some more modern medical standards. I am still a fairly new pilot (95ish hours). However, I've had the opportunity to fly all over the country in a variety of different aircraft from single pistons to multi-jets (most as a passenger). While doing that, though, I've been exposed to IFR and VFR conditions both day and night, and neither myself nor the pilot have found anything I can't see in an operational environment. When the ACVA becomes available as the next step, I am confident I will pass it.

In part 67, subpart 67.150 of the CASR, it says the following:
(6) A person must demonstrate that he or she meets the criterion in item 1.39 of table 67.150 by:

(a) in daylight, or artificial light of similar luminosity, readily identifying a series of pseudo‑isochromatic plates of the Ishihara 24‑plate type, making no more than 2 errors; or

(b) for somebody who makes more than 2 errors in a test mentioned in paragraph (a), readily identifying aviation coloured lights displayed by means of a Farnsworth colour‑perception lantern, making:

(i) no errors on 1 run of 9 pairs of lights; or

(ii) no more than 2 errors on a sequence of 2 runs of 9 pairs of lights; or

(c) for somebody who does not satisfy paragraph (a) or (b), correctly identifying all relevant coloured lights in a test, determined by CASA, that simulates an operational situation.
I'm just a dumb pilot, not a lawyer, but I don't see any mention of the CAD test in there... Is there a way to argue that the CAD test is not simulating an operational situation? In the video you posted above, you mentioned that the inventor of the CAD test has even stated in court that it does not simulate an operational situation. Again, I'm no lawyer, but to me, it seems like CASA is ignoring their own regulations to prohibit people from obtaining their medical, despite the fact that we can safely operate an aircraft... If I am right, shouldn't the law overrule the CASA policy?

I will contact QUT about their equipment; currently, to my knowledge, the only other place in QLD that offers the lantern test is Townsville. I will also contact CASA about issuing a restricted Class 1 medical and see what they say.
​​​​​​​
The following users liked this post: