PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Empire Strikes Back! on Colour Defective Pilots... Again.
Old 31st Dec 2023, 23:17
Missing aileron

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forgive me if any of this has been asked before.

Is there any way around doing the CAD test? I live in Brisbane and can't afford to go to Sydney or Melbourne to do the test; however, the ACVA is offered in Brisbane, and I would much prefer to do that. The optometrist who did my lantern test said, "There's no point doing the CAD; you're just going to fail it."

Also, is there any way CASA will issue a restricted Class 1 if the applicant cannot afford to go and do these other tests? Will they consider issuing a Class 1 with the night flight restrictions for someone if they have completed the Ishihara and the lantern test?

Additionally, what are the requirements around maintenance of the lantern test equipment, and can anything be done to improve the standard of the test? I did it at QUT here in Brisbane, and the machine didn't work until it got a solid thump, and then the white was more of a brownish-yellow rather than the white light I was expecting. The lights also were flickering as if the bulbs were close to failure, or the power source was being interrupted.