PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can you trust your Company Training Captains ?
Old 31st Dec 2023, 11:01
Uplinker

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts
I have fallen foul of this - to a lesser extent.

I have been employed by four UK airlines, and my development was encouraged and nurtured in 3 of them. The other one, however, seemed to be against me almost from the start. The first TRE in that airline, and my trainer for a significant type rating, was not very good at actually training, and seemed to take a dislike to me.

Fair enough - we can't all like or be liked by everybody we work with, but I was always professional, modest; never boastful, turned up to the crew room in good time, well presented and well prepared. I was always pleasant and respectful to cabin crew and operations staff etc.

But I was doomed in that airline. I always passed my SIM exams but that first TRE poisoned most of the others against me and my career basically stopped in the RHS. I never did find out why he hated me so much, but it was very confusing that some of the line Captains were sloppy; turned up late, were badly presented, could barely fly, or barked at crew and Ops, and generally threw their weight around etc. - unlike me.

Another senior TRE, new to the company, failed to perform the proper SOP actions during an EFATO in the SIM. He was really sketchy and had clearly not prepared. I was his F/O in the SIM and I thought Uh Oh, this is going to be embarrassing, there are going to be stern words. Nope. The SIM TRE just said "ahem, yes, right, onto the next exercise".

I realised then that there was a hidden company agenda - and that I wasn't a part of it !

Having company TREs assessing their own company pilots is open to abuse of privilege. CAA should do all SIM exams and assessments.