PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nepal Plane Crash
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2023, 19:31
First_Principal

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts
Thanks for the link to the report.

Quick overview:

No contributing mechanical issue with 'plane.

Two captains in the cockpit, one under training for the airport in question. PF ~6000hrs PM ~22000hrs. PM had been into this aerodrome 2 x previously.

On approach PF called for flaps 30, PM feathered props instead. Lack of 'power' noted by PF, PM stated to continue when questioned, power increased (still in feather), flaps eventually lowered. PM took over and held stick back in shake.

Report discusses workload + stress amongst other factors that include poor CRM, lack of checklist use, poor training. Difference in headsets noted (I mention this because of earlier discussions around ANR).

Personal observation: the questioning by the PF and the responses from the PM, and the age+gender of the people concerned, leads me to wonder whether there may have been a culture factor involved in the outcome? I want to be clear that this is a question in my mind, not a statement; I know next to nothing about this part of the world, nor this airline, but as such things have contributed to similar events in the past it raises a flag to me that I should try to learn more about these [possible] issues.

FP.