PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia hard landings ATSB report
Old 15th Dec 2023, 06:12
C441

Received 118 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by BraceBrace
It is true that it is much harder using simply a shorter section of centerline lights but the basic principle is the same. On the other hand, good training could also be to decide on an autoland in limited visibility... after all we train to be safe (and I hope you didn't mean 800m landing runway in training...)

To quote the FCTM it says "far end of the runway". The rate of descent assesment is done using peripheral vision. The far vision is a "locking" point for your vision, but the assesment is done by assessing how fast the shoulders (the runway sides just in front of the flightdeck) are rising in relation to that far end. Anyway, that's how I explain that part at least.
Just pointing out that there's not always going to be a (visible) runway end as suggested in the quoted post - "The FCTM uses the runway end as a cue because there will always be a runway end on each landing,"

I agree too, that reasonable discretion would suggest that in reduced visibility an autoland, if available, would be a prudent choice - training or not.
The following 2 users liked this post by C441: