PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Walt? and a Chief Constable at that!
Old 13th Dec 2023, 13:05
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 438 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by MPN11
Which reminds me of my former neighbour, whose cheques [drawn on Coutts] had the imprint "Mr. [Name] MBE"
A certain female moved near here some years back. She was a fairly attractive person and introduced herself to everyone as “Lady ******” at local venues. She also had the “Lady” prefix on her credit card, I did once briefly get a glimpse of it. By coincidence, she supposedly hailed from the small town that was my birthplace and where I’d lived for twenty years, and where my late parents lived all their lives. She was a fairly newly qualified PPL holder and after I’d met her a few times she asked me if I’d go flying with her because she wasn’t very confident and I agreed. I tried to engage her in conversation about her background, bearing in mind we were supposedly born and bred in the same small town but soon “hit a stone wall”. From what little she did tell me, I got some idea of which family she might have been from (most definitely not titled) but she denied it and refused to tell me her actual maiden name. My suspicions aroused, I made a few discreet inquiries but could find absolutely no evidence that either she, or her estranged husband held a title (she kept his surname, which by coincidence was my mother’s maiden name). I met him once but didn’t connect him to her at the time. She greatly irritated our local landlord and his staff - over time she earned a reputation for turning up at the pub after closing time and asking for a glass of tap water and seldom actually buying any drinks. Strange. I believe some of what she told me, but some of it just didn’t add up. Anyway, my wife took a very early dislike to her after the latter told her that she was “borrowing” me to go flying. My wife told me that she suspected that I might soon be borrowed for further purposes…

Discretion being the better part of valour etc, I thought it better to make myself unavailable.
I’ve not seen her for many years, but her attitude was very much of that of an imposter.