PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Walt? and a Chief Constable at that!
Old 13th Dec 2023, 04:37
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Ancestor worship

I've seen this trend of wearing ancestors' medals get to ridiculous heights when I attended the Gallipoli Commemorations in Türkiye 8 years ago. NZ and Australian serving personnel were bedecked/festooned with ancestor medals from both unpleasantnesses on their right chests and their own medals on their left chest (plus name badges and unit citations), looking more like North Korean Admirals. It's shining in reflected glory conflated with a "my dad's a policeman" boastfulness.

in November I was invited to the local Club in my home counties market town to speak at their Remembrance Dinner. It was Black Tie with miniatures. I have a reasonable selection of medals, including the Coronation.Medal - awarded as a civilian - and a foreign one, but I was surprised how many of the old codgers (all men) were wearing bought medals, typically worn alongside GSM (Northern Ireland) or a TA Efficiency Medals. Medals such as "International Year of the Volunteer" and "NATO Cold War Medal" alongside various unofficial Jubilee medals. They should be proud of what they were officially awarded and not feel they have to big themselves up with tat.

Oh, and afterwards in the bar, several asked why I was wearing a foreign medal and was that permissible? When I was still serving I used to keep a photo copy of a letter from defense services secretariat with the authority from the palace to wear that award. Nor will I be in any hurry to join this particular Club. It was full of red-faced old racists and misogynists.
The following 3 users liked this post by Whenurhappy: