PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Empire Strikes Back! on Colour Defective Pilots... Again.
Old 2nd Dec 2023, 02:42
Snakecharma

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Interestingly, the CVD debate has a focus (at least from what I can read here) on interpretation (or more accurately failure of interpretation) of slope guidance from a PAPI.

Whilst the simplest view might be that a PAPI is a colour based device and therefore a CVD pilot may be “less safe” than a non CVD pilot, it is a distorted view, in my opinion.

Visual slope guidance is only one of many means of identifying slope. GPS can derive a distance and the old 3 times tables can be used, many approaches have a coded 3 deg slope to the threshold, in short there are multiple clues that any pilot (CVD or otherwise) can use to determine whether they are on slope, including the old Mark 1 eyeball as used in many strips that are, for example, dirt or don’t have any visual slope indicator. Looking out the window and judging the sight picture and acting accordingly is what many people did for years before we became children of the magenta.

I myself suffer from CASA surveillance that my urologist gets quite grumpy about as he has to subject me to annual probes to identify a non issue - but that is a story for another time and place.

Suffice it to say I would have no issues flying with a CVD pilot.
The following users liked this post: