PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are we ever going to see US style pay. If not, why not?
Old 1st Dec 2023, 16:21
JM926

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roll_over
12K is only 12k because the tax regime is low, your company is not paying you a lot, it only feels like a lot compared to a salary in Europe. You have some spending money if you are single and with a family live a relatively ok life. It’s not big bucks, I used to earn a similar amount. Compared to people scraping by paycheck to paycheck it’s a lot I take that but don’t kid yourself you are earning a lot.

I clear about £6300 after tax, it’s enough for a small apartment, living an ok life and some savings as a single person. No living the good life or expensive holidays.

with all due respect, with this salary you are in the top few percent of earners in the uk. If you’re living as you describe then surely your apartment must be in the one of the most expensive/exclusive parts of the county. Your salary is more than most people would ever see in their working lives, and by a big margin

for the record, I’m not saying that you earn too much or that the industry in the uk as a whole doesn’t deserve to rise towards the US salaries. Just a nudge to say that if you talk to the average person, £6300 is seen as a salary with which you should be able to live a very comfortable life in most areas of the UK

Last edited by JM926; 1st Dec 2023 at 16:35.