PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are we ever going to see US style pay. If not, why not?
Old 27th Nov 2023, 16:23
Sam Ting Wong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AIMINGHIGH123
Well a couple of points that often get overlooked.

The USD is very strong right now. The euro hasn’t been around very long.
Compared to the pound in the last 50 years the pound has halved in value to the USD. Mid 80s yes pound hit a low against the dollar then it strengthened again. I remember when I went to NYC around 2007 it was $2 to £1. $500k salary “only” £250k here back then. BA top scales around that now.
Hard to compare like for like. Pint of beer in NYC now is around $14. London around £7 in a pub.
And yeah health care in US can wipe out $100k. Even with insurance it often doesn’t cover the full lot.

Another point I believe is a bigger influence is size and infrastructure.
Rail network is non existent. When I looked at going from SFO to LA. It’s around a 6hr drive. Train was double that or fly for $30 in 1 hour and they are every 30 mins. No brainer.
Yes airlines compete against each other but that’s in.
Certainly in France I have taken the train over long distances and not much difference in time compared to flying once you factor in airport faffing.
14$ for a pint in NYC seems quite inflated. The average I believe is maybe half of that. Health insurance as pilot is covered.

Switzerland, Norway, Luxemburg, Paris and London, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo, Hong Kong, all at least as expensive as the US average I would argue.

https://www.economist.com/big-mac-index

Menekse, not sure if it is helpful to stereotype newjoiners the way you do. The debate about sponsored type rating etc is decades old, but the pay diversion is a very recent phenomena. It hence doesn't appear to be the key factor.