PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Abort Phraseology
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2023, 18:27
albatross

Received 156 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Jo90
STOP, usefully, is a word widely recognised even by non English speakers. Most countries use it on road signs - even the French. (Though not of course the French Canadians.)
In Quebec we use WWT “Whiskey, Whiskey, Tango” AKA “Whoa, Whoa, Tabernac !!!!”….just joking.

Seriously In Quebec aviation wise “STOP” will produce the desired action.

I like the term ABORT because it is seldom used and therefore, when heard, gets your attention while “Stop” is often used ( at lesser volume ) in the cockpit and in radio communication.

When I first worked in France it was explained to me that “Stop” on a road sign was a command while “Arrete ” was used to indicate the location of a pull-off or Lay-bye, usually a scenic lookout where one rested, admired the view, enjoyed some old cheese, a fresh baguette and fine wine (Rouge in the north, rosé in the south) before getting back on the road.
The funniest was when I asked for car keys by asking “Les Clefs pour Le Char SVP” It was a military base…”You want the keys to a Tank!!???” The way they drive in the Var in the summer it would have been useful!