PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Abort Phraseology
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2023, 16:26
Gizm0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flap40
First airline, first type, either pilot can call 'stop' PF retained control and actioned.
First airline second type initially the same until about a year later when a crew had 'communication issues' and the call was misheard by PF so the call was changed to 'stop stop stop'. A year or so later it reverted back to just 'stop' for company commonality.
First airline, third type, as per type one.
Second airline, type one (same type as type three above) still the same.
Second airline, type two (a new type for the airline) The call was 'reject' and only by the captain but the actions were still by PF. Call changed to 'stop' about 18 months later (again for company commonality).
Third airline 'stop' call by captain only and actioned by the captain.
Strikes me the airlines (& managers) that you worked for must have had little confidence in the competence of their F/Os. In particular the third one: not allowing the F/O to call stop at any stage - and then only the Captain being allowed to action the RTO - seems to be bordering on downright dangerous. Perhaps that airline didn't allow the F/O to do anything! I well remember one of my first commercial flights as a second officer (but in the RHS) and being told "sit there, don't touch anything & speak only when you are spoken to"!! Fortunately things improved as CRM became a reality & the crusty old flying boat Captains retired......

Last edited by Gizm0; 24th Nov 2023 at 16:28. Reason: Spelling