PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Abort Phraseology
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2023, 03:56
PukinDog

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Magplug
As an FO and NHP many years ago I was involved in an RTO at an exotic Greek location in the middle of the night. Shortly before V1 a large plastic sack was carried by the wind across the runway and was ingested by the RH engine on this A320. I recall the skipper (HP) saying "I think we are going to miss it". That was the last thing I heard before a loud explosion and the world lit up and my nose was pressed against the glareshield. We stopped on the centreline from 140kts+.... The brakes were applied and the skipper selected forward idle. I ran the FIRE ENG 2 checklist from the ECAM and everything remained lit up as the 30 seconds counted down. The skipper had the PA in hand as I put the second shot it. After an agonising few seconds the fire lights went out and everybody started breathing again. The fire trucks had been scrambled without input from us and long story short.... we taxied back to the terminal on the other engine. There were subsequently lots of interviews and an AAIB investigation.

Many months later were were called in for a debrief from the AAIB. The debrief was very thorough and (surprisingly) the RTO had gone totally according to SOP, with one tiny exception.... At no stage did anyone call 'STOP'. There was a lot of F*** Sh!t F*** Sh!t but no order to reject. I guess it just goes to show that as long as everybody knows what they are doing.... it will probably turn out OK.
Great story And perhaps you've uncovered what might be the best term to use to command an RTO. A reflexive, naturally-occurring "F***S***!!" x 3 may be the quickest, most succinct trigger word of all.