PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Abort Phraseology
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2023, 20:01
PukinDog

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BoeingDriver99
PukinDog another American who cannot understand the basic terminology of what I typed. I used satire to expose the use of “roll the trucks” in FAAland. Such terminology would be a) laughed at in any other jurisdiction b) be constructively critiqued in a formal debrief c) has sadly led to the loss of lives due to delayed FFS response directly due to miscommunication inside the CONUS.

But yes; ultimately - “America - Phuck Yeah!”

And yeah; most other professionals do regard US ATC RTF as embarrassingly bad. Please don’t take my word for it; ask some other pilots you might have respect for. You may in fact learn something of use.
I respect plenty of other pilots for a lot of things, but on this subject I'll trust my own assessment from experience gained over a 20 year stretch where perhaps 15% was spent flying inside the CONUS. Last time I counted for someone who asked, in and out of appx 90 different countries on every continent that isn't permanently covered with an ice sheet, and couldn't begin to tell you how many others were merely overflown so got a taste of their ATC but never got to sample the local food.

As an IOE Instructor for the outfit it was my job to stress that proper ICAO-script was spoken and spoken clearly. And although you think Americans are the only guilty parties for your ragging, I'll tell you that ICAO-correct words spoken in a guttural Scottish brogue or rapid-fire, clippy Queenslander-ese are just as unintelligible to the guy on listening watch down in Kigali who won't even bother to ask who's calling when he doesn't hear perhaps the only words he knows in English exactly as he learned them. It's all gibberish to him, and for all I know you're one of those he'd simply ignore, and could "uze sum learnin' ".

Also, just a constructive, informal debrief on your attempt at satire: Fair to Poor, sadly. An example of Good to Excellent: Dr. Strangelove.

Last edited by PukinDog; 22nd Nov 2023 at 20:38.