PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jump seat pilot tries to shut down engines in-flight?
Old 21st Nov 2023, 01:04
megan

Received 506 Likes on 233 Posts
Not looking good for him being "not a criminal"
A lot of criminals flying for the airlines, and others, going by that proposition Pukin, you can find a lot of discussion here about keeping your DAME and private doctor well apart. Unfortunately the FAA, from what I read, seems somewhat backward in its approach to mental health, locally our regulator allows the use of anti depressants and keep flying if the individual case warrants. Some seem to treat mental issues as an axe murderer just waiting to explode, there is a vast range of symptoms to the disease, each requiring a tailored treatment.

I speak from experience, following an airborne event I spent eighteen months visiting the doc with nebulous complaints, in the end I asked my good Lady to get me to hospital where they bombed me out, four months of treatment and was back in the cockpit, on anti depressants. Before hospital admission got to see why folk find the suicide door as a viable way out. Know of a 747 skipper who was on anti depressants in another country whose regulator took an enlightened approach to the subject, and a number of aviators in my own country.