PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How are people getting modular so cheap!??
Old 16th Nov 2023, 15:08
HypoxicWaiter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found hour building post PPL at £78 an hour wet in a SportsCruiser. Did 50 hours in that and then COVID happened and I spent the last few years distance learning and passing the ATPL theory. I now fly a PA38 around for £100ph wet to finish the last of the hour building. My point here is there are far cheaper options than flying clubs to build hours. Check the Flyer Forum for aircraft shares.

I took Rudestuffs advice and embarked on a SE CBIR this summer for a cost of £10k. I was going to do an IR(R) at my local club and then upgrade to a full IR via the CBIR route but I valued the consistency of a full course in the same aircraft. I did want to do a SE CPL and then make the MEP the last course, using different flying clubs around England. However I chose to keep all my training at the same provider (they're modular, pay as you go) so that I'm eligible for certain flying vacancies that stipulate no more than 3 ATOs used to gain the ATPL theory, CPL/IR, and MCC. I'll have to do the MEP before the CPL (their 15 hour course is 10 in a DA40 and 5+test in a DA42) but I can leave the SE to ME IR upgrade until the end, and its also partly on a DA42 sim ( as is the MEP ) which saves money. I also work full time so keeping all my training in one place helps massively with consistency and is worth the few extra pounds I'll have to spend.

I believe the British Aerobatic Academy do a joint UPRT and MCC course which saves you a little money.

​​​​​