PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Western Sydney International & Bankstown
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2023, 05:06
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Mr Jarosch said the company’s two new Major Development Plans, to be released in early 2024, would set the standard for 21st century airport precincts.

“Our planned $50 million central aviation precinct at Bankstown Airport will include up to nine new hangars with priority VIP aircraft access, to meet the needs of aviators today and beyond. This includes private charters, maintenance, flight training and advanced air mobility technologies, which will be powered by electric and hydrogen aircraft and next-generation drones,” he said.
I wonder if the major development plans mentioned above are like the previously released Master Development Plans?

These appear every 5 years.

I understand (assuming the previous 2010, 2015 and 2020 plans have been successfully implemented) that Camden Aerodrome now has an Aviation Museum, an aviation business park, access arrangements for cyclists, more hangars, more aircraft parking and new taxiway signs.

I know for a fact they have added new taxiways signs. Not that the Echo sign is much use as it faces the wrong way and can't be seen taxiing out until you are past it.

Oh - and there is now a new tall perimeter security fence! Well.. not quite the whole perimeter, maybe about halfway around? you can still simply walk onto the airside by stepping over the donkey paddock fences that are around knee high and falling down and just walk on down. Although the tower does spot people doing this and sends the car to admonish the interlopers.

As for new hangars... well they have done some work on 3 of the 80 year old Bellman hangars to make them look newer. And knocked some other hangars down.

Can't say I have seen any actual new hangars. (Maybe some new glider hangars down near the river?) Currently hangar space at a premium. Most hangars packed like sardines.

Oh and not quite sure what facilities were needed to be added to make cyclists more welcome... you can still park your bicycle just about anywhere. You could probably even lift it over the donkey paddock fence if you wanted to and cycle along the runway.

The donkey, sadly, is getting pretty old but is still friendly. It wouldn't mind I don't think.

I recall Gerard O'Dea one of the old tower controllers used to ride his pushbike to work and leave it resting against the Tower. Perhaps if they open a push bike parking area it could be named the "O'Dea Bike Lot" in his honour? That's be a nice touch and recognising some of the history of the place.

Still looking for the museum and business park though...

Oh and a pair of plovers laid their egg next to the Alpha holding point well inside the flight strip a while back. I didn't hold much hope but happy to say the egg has hatched and now there are currently 2 plovers and a cute little chick wandering about the holding point! The groundsman regularly tries to shoo them away but they are always back soon after.

Personally,I think the Plovers raising a chick on the edge of an active runway is something to impressed by and a positive development.

They seem to be pretty sensible about the taxiing and landing aircraft, (unlike, unfortunately, the galahs, some of which clearly didn't look out on final approach and are now ex-galahs).

NOTAM INFORMATION
-----------------

CAMDEN (YSCN)
C61/23
INCREASED BIRD HAZARD (GALAH) IN VCY OF AD
FROM 10 232231 TO 11 230000

Can't wait to see what will be happening in the next 5 year plan!

Last edited by jonkster; 10th Nov 2023 at 05:19.
The following 2 users liked this post by jonkster: