PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar and Ballina again
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2023, 08:53
Lead Balloon

Received 447 Likes on 226 Posts
I’m sure your contact in CASA OAR is a very hard-working and earnest person, MagnumPI, but the response you quoted is laughable. (I’m sure the substance of the response is not the decision of said hard-working and earnest person, but rather a mere explanation of matters 'imposed from above'.)
I can advise a direction from the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) to Airservices Australia (Airservices) in relation to the establishment of controlled airspace and a controlled aerodrome service at Ballina has been issued. However, the initial timeframe to introduced these components has been amended to account for the required time to undertake all the necessary tasks required before submitting the airspace change proposal (ACP). There is more information relating to this below.
There is no ‘requirement’ to undertake an ACP. An ACP is an invention of the bureaucracy, intended to frustrate meaningful change.
Regarding the installation of an Automatic Dependent Surveillance - Broadcast (ADS-B) ground station in the vicinity of Ballina to improve surveillance by April 2023. This task was completed earlier this year. In March 2023 CASA officers inspected this site and unit for certification.
ADS-B IN is now the airspace Kool Aide.
It’s going to save everyone.
In relation to the controlled airspace and controlled aerodrome service, the anticipated timeframe has been amended so controlled airspace will be introduced in November 2024 and the controlled aerodrome service, June 2025.
Of course it will.
It is important to note that changes such as these are introduced coincidentally with the aeronautical chart publication cycle i.e. either mid or end of year.
I really think the correspondent meant “concurrently with”, rather than “coincidentally with”.
The link is not coincidental, but either way the link is fallacious.
Amended or new charts must be submitted and finalised approximately six months prior to publication. For changes expected to be promulgated in November 2024, the proposal to be completed and returned to the airspace designers by 28 May 2024. It should also be noted the OAR will take approximately 8-12 weeks to review these types of proposals. This demonstrates that time is a critical factor to undertake the required steps within an ACP.
Hopefully the relatives of the people killed in the mid-air will be comforted by the fact that a paperwork cycle and a bureaucratic invention called an ACP were what delayed the obvious.
Those relatives will probably be gobsmacked that no mechanism exists for implementing safety-related airspace arrangements at short notice.

If only there were some way to give notice of different airspace arrangements at short notice, independently of the chart publication cycle. If only.

Keystone Cops doing airspace.

Sadly, there's also a Keystone Cops 'independent' transport safety investigation body.