PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar and Ballina again
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2023, 22:28
MagnumPI

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Reply is below as received. I would like to commend the CASA OAR officer for being approachable, including taking the time to speak to me on the phone. I have removed his details but should anyone wish to contact him directly, I can pass them on via PM.

My original enquiry was sent to the wrong branch of CASA (as their contact form is broken) but once this gentleman received it he was helpful in letting me know what they're doing.My original enquiry:

I am enquiring about CASA's progress with regard to specific recommendations that OAR (part of CASA) made to CASA (?) in the Ballina Airspace Review, published in November 2022.

Specifically, I'd like to understand whether:

Recommendation 3 has been completed by Airservices Australia as per CASA's direction
Recommendation 7 is planned for implementation by 30 November 2023
Recommendation 8 is in progress, and if so if that is to be a physical tower on the airfield or a remote tower

I have copied the recommendations I'm referring to below:

--

Recommendation 3 CASA should direct AA to install an Automatic Dependent Surveillance - Broadcast (ADS-B) ground station in the vicinity of Ballina to improve surveillance as soon as practicable but no later than April 2023. The ground station should, as far as is practical, provide ADS-B surveillance capability to the runway surface

Recommendation 7 As an interim action pending the completion of Recommendation 8, CASA should make a determination to establish a control area around Ballina Byron Gateway Airport with a base which is as low as possible, and direct AA to provide services within the control area. The services should be provided during all periods of scheduled Air Transport Operations and include an Approach Control Service to aircraft operating under the Instrument Flight Rules (IFR), separation between IFR aircraft, VFR traffic information to all aircraft, and sequencing of all aircraft to and from the runway. CASA and AA should jointly explore opportunities to detect non-cooperative aircraft or vehicles in the immediate vicinity of the runway. The services should be established as soon as practicable but no later than 30 November 2023.

​​​​​​​Recommendation 8 CASA should make a determination that Ballina Byron Gateway Airport will become a controlled aerodrome with an associated control zone and control area, and direct Airservices Australia (AA) to provide an Aerodrome Control Service1 to the aerodrome. That service should be established as soon as practicable but no later than 13 June 2024.
CASA OAR response:

Thanks very much for your query and will do my best to provide you a sufficient response.

I can advise a direction from the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) to Airservices Australia (Airservices) in relation to the establishment of controlled airspace and a controlled aerodrome service at Ballina has been issued. However, the initial timeframe to introduced these components has been amended to account for the required time to undertake all the necessary tasks required before submitting the airspace change proposal (ACP). There is more information relating to this below.

Regarding the installation of an Automatic Dependent Surveillance - Broadcast (ADS-B) ground station in the vicinity of Ballina to improve surveillance by April 2023. This task was completed earlier this year. In March 2023 CASA officers inspected this site and unit for certification.

In relation to the controlled airspace and controlled aerodrome service, the anticipated timeframe has been amended so controlled airspace will be introduced in November 2024 and the controlled aerodrome service, June 2025.

It is important to note that changes such as these are introduced coincidentally with the aeronautical chart publication cycle i.e. either mid or end of year. Amended or new charts must be submitted and finalised approximately six months prior to publication. For changes expected to be promulgated in November 2024, the proposal to be completed and returned to the airspace designers by 28 May 2024. It should also be noted the OAR will take approximately 8-12 weeks to review these types of proposals. This demonstrates that time is a critical factor to undertake the required steps within an ACP.

The OAR is working with Airservices on these steps. Consultation is required and while I can not provide you more specific information about that component, I can advise the OAR will be in the Ballina/Lismore area around 5-9 February 2024 when CASA Aviation Safety seminars are scheduled to take place. There is likely to be other occasions/opportunities to participate in the engagement process however the aviation safety seminars is one opportunity staff will attend the area.

Should you have additional questions about Ballina airspace, do not hesitate contact me via email or the contact numbers below.
The following users liked this post: