PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus down Gundaroo, 06/10/23
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2023, 21:46
ForkTailedDrKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 43Inches
Thousands of pilots have been through entire careers without spin training and survived. Spin avoidance is far more important than recovery as some types will not recover, or recovery takes so much altitude that you just don't have. The point being, don't go anywhere near stall/spin entry conditions especially when low. The stats are just not there to back up that spin recovery training will make that much of a dent in accident statistics, in Australia anyway. If you then mandate spinning, inevitably aircraft will be lost practicing in 'failed to recover' scenarios. I've heard enough "there I was" stories where a C152 Aerobat or the like has not wanted to come out of a spin and recovery effected at tree top height, after using power, rocking and so on. It would not have taken much for those stories to become accidents and ATSB entries.
Interesting!

I've spun Aerobats many times, including multi-rotation spins, and don't recall any reluctance to recover from them!
When undertaking basic IR training in NZ I had an instructor who thought it was funny to have me under the hood on partial panel and then spin the Traumahawk and say, "You have control"!