PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jump seat pilot tries to shut down engines in-flight?
Old 26th Oct 2023, 12:08
mahogany bob

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts
Chief

I was not (am not ) supporting pilot-less flying - just putting forward the facts as I see them - it certainly won’t happen soon AND thanks to all in the aviation industry the airlines safety record is fantastic - it certainly is a lot safer flying than driving!

Shared reality

Well. with statistics you can argue any point, probably even that earth is flat...

If someone says that 80% of accidents are caused by human error, that is only a fraction of the truth, as most professional aviators know that for every accident caused by human error, there are multitudes of pote
ntial disasters averted by the very same humans, applying experience, thinking outside of the box, working together to solve issues arising. Most of these events go totally unnoticed by both the public and passengers.

Totally agree !

Lies,damned lies and statistics ! Mark Twain

BUT

Humans are human and:
Have bad days
Suffer from heart attacks/colds/ depression /emotion/overwork
Take drugs/alcohol /magic mushrooms!

Etc etc

So maximum efforts should be made by the airlines to ensure that stress on aircrew is kept to a minimum .Reading some of the threads on ‘conditions ‘ I am not sure that this is happening