PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAR compliant licences
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2004, 06:42
chopperpilot47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JAR compliant licence

Time I replied. I have sent a private message to Keygrip concerning the CAA contact. I have also passed the identity of the CAA examiner to him.

We do administer CAA/JAA examinations for the air law and R/T on site. We have a CAA/JAA authorised examiner who comes to us when we have students ready. He takes them for the practicals required, administers the examinations and passes, where successful. He has been in the business for a long time and was the person who pointed all this out to us in the first place. We didn't invent this, he liased with the CAA and discovered the concept of the JAR compliant licence.

There seems to be some confusion here between the conversion of an FAA licence to a CAA/JAA one. A JAR compliant licence is an ICAO licence which, because of reciprocal agreements, enables the holder to operate G registered helicopters as though the holder had a CAA/JAA licence. It of course, enables the holder to fly any N registered aircraft and to fly in any of the ICAO contracting states.

The reciprocal agreement means that the ICAO licence holder does not have to take the 7 JAA examinations because he is not converting the licence from his ICAO one to a CAA/JAA licence he is making his ICAO licence "compliant" with the requirements of the CAA/JAA. This compliance enables the pilot, as I have said, to exercise all the privilages of his ICAO licence in any of the contracting states. The UK is, of course, a contracting state.

I hope this makes this clearer. If you have any questions please contact me.