PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Western Sydney International & Bankstown
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2023, 04:27
MagnumPI

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by jonkster
From the EIS

To mitigate the impact the strategy will be

1. Assuming their estimates are valid, my reading is they are saying the costs passed on to ab initio training will be of the order of $90 per flight hour (and increase hours to achieve qualifications by 20%.) Students will walk away - why pay more for slower and longer training? Why pay more to spend 20% more time in flight transit, not actually doing the lesson? Why pay more, to rack up 20% more hours to get a licence - needing more log book hours to get your basic qualifications is not a selling point.

2. I assume the mitigating strategy they propose to address these issues (continued consultation) will be the same as the consultation they say they have done with operators leading up to this... ie... nil (other than to inform them of the pre-decided outcome).

I am not commenting on the need for the new airport or the value it can bring to the overall economy - I can see why they want this to proceed but I believe it will not only bring benefits, but also nasty financial impacts to many existing operators, including the closure of businesses. I doubt YSBK can survive as a GA training aerodrome and YSCN is not in a position to take up any slack due to its inherent physical constraints. I cannot see how these impacts can be mitigated.

All my personal opinion.
If the strategy is going to be to leave the Sydney basin and train to the north, I presume this will be north of Brooklyn Bridge BBG. What's that - the better part of 30nm if going via Parramatta?

Given this, wouldn't it be more like 15min each way so actually another 0.5 per lesson? Sounds way more expensive to me.

I can't speak for the transit times to the S training areas as I'm not familiar with what they currently are or will become.

Also doesn't account for the time you spend waiting for takeoff clearance at BK!