PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bidding at British Airways
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2023, 06:29
thetimesreader84

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Big Metal Bird
Thanks for the responses I’m still trying to rap my head around the seniority system so bear with me.

My understanding is as soon as you join you get assigned a number which is obviously your seniority.

This number changes as time passes because you have worked in the company for a specific period. Once your freeze is over (unless the company decide to unfreeze you earlier) and if you match the required “number” you can then advance onto a new aircraft type or LHS. Once you make this move, your seniority “resets” to the bottom and you get frozen again for a period between 1 to 8 years (1 for command) and now need to just keep waiting until the number reaches whatever it is you want to do next (rinse and repeat).

Is this somewhat correct?
Not quite. You're correct that when you join you get assigned a seniority number. This is your place on the master seniority list (MSL). If there are 4500 pilots that have joined before you, you'll be 4501 on the MSL.

Every year (in theory) BA will re run the MSL numbers as part of the annual Fleet change bid (commonly known as PRIAM). Let's say 500 people above you have left, got the sack etc. Your new seniority number would be 4001.

I think you understand the above, but that's the foundation we need for the next bit.

If you joined onto a fleet that's recruiting, lets say as an FO on A320, as time passes more people will join with higher seniority numbers than you. Relative to you, your position on the FO A320 list, you'll move up. Your actual seniority number won't change but your relative seniority (vs other, newer, pilots) will.

Now let's say you're Seniority number is high enough to get a command on the A320, and you move across successfully. To use our example, BA say anyone who bid with Seniority 4001 or greater is eligible for an A320 command, and they've agreed to waive any freeze you have. Youll keep your seniority number (4001) but as you are the most junior (least time in the conpany) person to do it, youll be at the bottom of the relative seniority for CA A320. As time goes by and more Captain's join the fleet below you, your relative seniority would increase - but your seniority number would still be determined by how many people joined after you, regardless of what fleet they joined onto.

Seniority number is mainly used for fleet moves, relative seniority is what's important for lifestyle as that determines what roster you can get etc.

You don't have to move fleets or seats as soon as you can (the saying is "you only have to be junior once"). You can always wait until your relative seniority is such that you have an acceptable lifestyle on your chosen fleet and then bid for it, then when you cone across youd slot in above all those who joined after you, and have more relative seniority.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by thetimesreader84; 23rd Oct 2023 at 08:29.