PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Walt? and a Chief Constable at that!
Old 17th Oct 2023, 15:11
NutLoose

Received 2,942 Likes on 1,253 Posts
I read it earlier on line, and I still think what he is doing is incorrect, namely wearing someone elses medals on the right side of his uniform that are still living, also they are only supposed to be worn at remembrance parades etc, not as a bit of bling to tart up his uniform. Not only is he wearing two relatives medals, not one group, it is only civilian clothing NOT uniforms that they are to be worn on..

Military protocol allows someone to wear military medals they have not themselves won but they must be worn on a different side of the chest from any medals they have earned.

After the allegations surfaced in September, Adderley said: “Coming from a military family, I wear all my medals with pride and have always worn the two medals my brothers gave me to wear when one became critically ill and one emigrated, alongside my own.

“Having been made aware of this complaint, which has a private family impact upon me personally, I immediately took advice last week regarding the protocol and have changed the side of my chest on which these medals are worn.”

Wearing of medals

You should only wear official decorations, medals or emblems that you are entitled to and have been approved for acceptance and wear. Unofficial medals should not be worn with official orders, decorations and medals.

If you are the next of kin of a deceased service person, it is common practice to wear your relative’s decorations and medals as a mark of remembrance. It is custom to wear medals on the right breast in civilian dress only, official approval is not required to wear relative’s medals.

Current serving personnel should not wear relative’s medals or unofficial medals whilst wearing uniform.

Ensure that your replica and miniature medals are bought from an officially licensed replica medal manufacturer. The merchandise licensing programme generates much needed revenue for our Armed Forces welfare funds that supports Serving and Ex-Serving members of the Armed Forces and their families.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/medals-c...ring-of-medals

Last edited by NutLoose; 17th Oct 2023 at 15:33.