PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus down Gundaroo, 06/10/23
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2023, 02:44
cncpc

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 43Inches
Except that I know two instructors personally that are traumatized due to a student locking up during a stall and entering a spin. Just because you have never experienced it, does not mean it does not happen, and when it does, you really need to have some wits about you to know what to do. I could go on about several other situations that tend to send instructors to seek mental professionals, but we can focus on spins for now. BTW it will make you think twice about about instructing people that are physically stronger than you.
I have about 500 hours of instruction time in the early 80s. We always did incipient spins. I usually stopped at 2 turns. I believe that was not only allowed back then, but mandatory. Not sure, but I think you can only teach to the point of wing drop now.

I and quite a few others had a plan for lockup at the controls. Anytime, but obviously spin training is the most likely situation for that. I kept an 18 inch long 1 inch diameter hardwood dowel in the map pocket on my side. The students knew what it was for, that it was coming across their hand or wrist if they didn't instantly give up control when commanded. Never had to use it.