PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tel Aviv and back
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2023, 08:59
Gordomac

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
TEl Aviv and back

I was in Paphos on Friday. Cyprus is full of Israelis buying/renting not only in the South but in the North too. As the news broke, me and the memsahib felt heartfelt sorrow for those we met inthe Paphos pubs.

Netanyahu, declared a war situation. I thought all borders would be closed and, again, felt concerned for those we me who would now be stuck, all over this Island. I heard that BA had gone in & turned backy and was astonished to read in our local paper that flights were being operated, normally, to Tel Aviv.

Normal, commercial ops, into and out of a war zone. Er, is it just me ?

WAy back, same zone, I had the misfortune to work for a true cowboy outfit. Notams advised all operators to avoid the area. They did. My lot didn't. I told ops to refile a long way round, hit the crew hour problem for return, would make it back as far as I could but a three sector day meant crew party, Cardiff, at best ! Ops Cowboy asked how long I intended staying with the Company and Head Cowboy phoned to ask what my problem was.

I looked really silly in my Lone Ranger outfit anyway,, said "kimosabi" and engineered the perfect escape.

Others seemed happy enough to operate in and out of declared "to be avoided" zones. Astonishing.