PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus down Gundaroo, 06/10/23
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2023, 04:23
Lead Balloon

Received 438 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by W.u.W
This comment has nothing to do with this incident I have no idea what happened I am just trying to point out mechanical failures in aviation are very rare.

Are people not quick to point blame or look at what could of happened in the pointy front bit because statically speaking something around 70/80 percent of aviation incidents/accidents are down to human/pilot error?
Assuming the "human" part of your "human/pilot error" term is confined to pilots, that's around 20/30 percent of aviation incident/accidents being down to other than pilot error. In my book, that percentage does not equal "very rare". Or do you include e.g. Air Traffic Controllers and aircraft maintainers in the "human error"?

But what is your definition of "mechanical failures"? It is "very rare" for e.g. an aircraft's wings to fall off an aircraft flown below Vne and within the G loading limits etc. That kind of "mechanical failure" is very rare.

But there are plenty of mechanical things that don't work properly or are unreliable and fail to work because of human error - in the case of aircraft, maintenance error. And not all manufacturing processes are perfect.