PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus down Gundaroo, 06/10/23
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2023, 09:01
KRviator

Received 126 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by PoppaJo
Well we need to know if it was VMC or IMC.

I am reading many mixed messages. Some say the turbulence was significant in the area. Others are saying they noted lenticular clouds in the area during the morning. Others are saying the wind was quite volatile around that time and shifted dramatically. One media outlet noted it was perfect conditions.

Can anyone comment on turbulence they have experienced from the ranges to the West of Lake George?
He's planned the flight at 10,000 (Why not 9, for an easterly flight though?), suggestive of under the IFR. To me at least, that says it was immaterial whether he was IMC or VMC, he'd have been flying by reference to his instruments and by all reports, was quite adept at doing so. The only way IMC/VMC would play a part is, in the event of pilot incapacitation, would the passenger would know [how] to take control. I know my regular Coey (Mini-Me MkII at 11YO) can fly to a "safe enough" landing in VMC, but that's as far as I can connect the dots in that scenario.

Going by the below photo taken the afternoon of the accident, there's blue sky above the cloud base, but I cant pick the bases or tops from behind a keyboard...